Re: Germans and klezmer

More two cents:
I think the issue of Germans playing Jewish  music can be put into context by
remebering that historically European Jewish and Gentile musicians did play
music together (think of Gypsies and peasants sitting in in Jewish bands and
Jews augmenting Rom orchestras...) The fact that Germans play klezmer music
is not such a big deal, after all they are no better or worse at it than
bands from the U.S. or anywhere else.
It is what happens when that performance extends outward from klezmer music
where deeper problems occur. What did send a chill down my spine on my
numerous tours in Germany with Kapelye  (and also caused me to grit my teeth)
was hearing German babyboomers performing songs like "Zog Nit Keynmol" and
"Shtil di Nakht" Holocaust songs written in direct response to the policies
of the performers grandparents, uncles and fathers. I will never forget
hearing one, no doubt well meaning singer rendering the Partisans Hymn as if
it were "Strangers in the Night" replete with offbeat finegr snapping! It was
blood chilling.
It is this more troubling performance of repertoire which raises for me the
ticklish issue of what, in my book, I call  "Cultural Ownership". Who has a
"right" to sing this material? After all, when a German singer performs a
song about "di soyne" (The enemy) might'n't he be talking about his Uncle
Helmut or his beloved old Granddad?
I don;t have a ready answer. Just a feeling....

Henry Sapoznik
Author
"Klezmer! Jewish Music