From:  MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com [SMTP:MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com]
Sent:  Friday, September 24, 1999 2:52 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  Re: Kol Isha

This is all logical and I hear your outrage, Shira, but we are talking
apples
and oranges.  If you are Jewish and traditional, then kol isha is one of
the
threads in your tapestry.  Not all the threads that make up the tapestry of
traditional Judaism fit into the contemporary sensibilities, which is why
so
many Jews belong to liberal movements.  But there is a great deal of good
in
Orthodoxy as well, and it would be a pity to cut ourselves off from that
good
because one of the halachic restrictions rubs us the wrong way as women.

I think that tolerance all around would make the Jewish world a more
heimish
and interesting place for all of us.

Good shabbas and good yontif...let's get back to music!

Lori (Maxwell Street)