Kol Isha

Shira and Trudi,

It wouldn't help.   Orthodox congregations do whatever their top bananas
tell them to do.   This issue has to be dealt with at the highest
rabbinical venues -- yeshivas, rabbinical schools, and kollels.   In the
past 20 years, orthodox women have arisen in many places fighting this.
 There are slowly more and more highly learned women halakhic scholars who
are learning the issues and the structures of the winning arguments that
will be necessary to make real halakhic changes to happen.   They will be
making their cases in the next 5-15 years and I do believe that real
changes will happen by the next 20 years.   Since the ruling was made
within halakha, the only way of it is through Halakha and nothing short of
a universal halakhic ruling will be acceptable to the Orthodox powers that
be.  They  know that they will soon be overturned and have thus now gone as
far as protesting against the crop of women minyans.  A women' minyan is
where women do all the davening, leyning and singing in their own service
and where there isn't even the theoretical chance of titillating a man.
 But you see, since the real issue for thousands of years has been the
suppression of women's political powers in all its potentials, they don't
want women establishing a parallel, separate but equal dominion among
themselves.  Kol isha is not a problem in a women's minyan, but they are
now finding every excuse in the world to suppress these new venues for
women to express themselves fully as Jews on shabes and holidays.  But once
the genie has been let out of the bottle, they will never be able to put
them back in the kitchen pregnant and barefoot.

So, yes make a lot of noise, never participate in any part of this system,
but you also have to understand where the real change has to happen.
  Arguing with any one particular synagogue is not going to achieve
anything.   You know there is a new radio program in Staten Island, NY,
where an Orthodox rebbetsin has made a radio program consisting of
religious feminine music.   I have a article about this that I was planning
to post here but my broken computer problems have set me so far back so far
with e-mail that who knows when I will catch up, but I do hope to get to
this article soon.   (I will find a good way of dealing with the copyright
issues.)  I haven't heard the program myself yet (I could have this morning
but forgot to turn it on), but these are the kinds of strategies we have to
use to get real changes going.  This rebbetsin does it at the Kingsborough
Community College radio station for free and I think that this kind of
thing we should support and help happen everywhere.   Making a catalogue of
all kinds of religious and semi-religious singing, recording, and songs for
radio producers, concert organizers, and performers to access would be very
good.  These are some of the ways to speed this process along.   Men want
all the powers to themselves in religious life and that's what has to be
fought.   Putting women's spirituality on the map is how a major way to
fight them.

Somebody else wrote:

>I would suggest consulting with Rabbis in the Orthodox community who are
>sympathetic in general to the (halakhic) inclusion of women and gently
press
>them on establishing a position.

They can't as long as they are Orthodox.   This is an inflexible ruling and
there are no mixed choirs for Orthodox.

Steven Singer, thanks for you wise remarks.

This is also definitely where discussions of kol-isha belongs.

Reyzl