Re: reviewers of Jewish music

Mayer Pasternak writes:

>Much of what has been written about over the last two years has been artists
>that only appeal to a very small part of the overall Jewish community - i.e.
>The Jewish Alternative Movement, Yossi Piamenta, Rebecca Garfein to name a
>few . If this continues to be the case, people will continue to believe that
>Jewish music does not speak to them.

I tend to stick close to klezmer, but bands like the Klezmatics, about
whom I've written on the Klezmer Shack, or Brave Old World, are not
necessarily "fringe." I've even covered Yehuda Poliker, who is very
mainstream in Israel. (True, there are many mainstream artists I don't
cover, and many non-mainstream articles that I do write about.)

The 'Shack has also linked to, or hosted articles about all aspects
of Jewish music, including a couple of articles that were on the Tara
site last time I was there. There's even more waiting for me to find
the time to make available or to post.

If it would help spark things further, we're certainly available to
host more, and to work more closely with those writers who need articles
hosted, as well as just linked. Larry Yudelson (yudel (at) yudelcom(dot)com, I
think, or yudel (at) well(dot)com) hosts neat resources about Israeli music,
including articles, as well.

There's a redesign coming soon that may help make these more accessible,
but if someone has writing that I haven't posted, or would like me to
link and index, let me know and I'll make it a priority.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/