Tara Publications on Jewish music magazine

Tara would definitely be interested in supporting such a venture. We have
discussed this over the last 6 years. The biggest problem/issue that exists is
the lack of quality material being written on Jewish music that is appropriate
for the general public. Most Jewish periodicals do not have either the funding
or the staff to provide for Jewish music reviews or articles. I have gone
around in circles with magazines like Moment trying to find writers to provide
material for their magazine. There is shortage of writers who understand the
general Jewish music markets tastes and are talking about products/artists that
will have broad appeal.

When I am approached to advertise in newspapers and magazines - I ask them what
kind of coverage of Jewish Music do they have? Manyare only willing to cover
new releases if the label takes out an ad! I recently sent out over 200 press
kits with 4 new releases and the ratio of calls for ads to reviews was 8 to 1.
I would like to see more of the existing media outlets covering music in a more
serious way. The interest that this coverage woudl generate might be an good
indicator of the viability of a national magazine dedicated exclusively to
Jewish music.

Much of what has been written about over the last two years has been artists
that only appeal to a very small part of the overall Jewish community - i.e.
The Jewish Alternative Movement, Yossi Piamenta, Rebecca Garfein to name a few
. If this continues to be the case, people will continue to believe that Jewish
music does not speak to them.

I have had a section for Jewish music articles on the Jewishmusic.com site for
4 years and no one to date has offered to contribute even 1 article!! I am more
then willing to post articles submitted to the site on the Jewishmusic.com if
there is someone out there that would like to have their voice heard.

So if you do want to pursue a magazine - and I am all for it - someone needs to
find the writers that have the knowledge and ability to do so.

Mayer Pasternak