Re: FW: RUN-DMC?

robert wiener wrote:

> I used the heading because reading the anti-Semitism thread I realized
> that I never tracked down a selection that someone (maybe Wolf)
> referred to several months ago by The Clash -- a video/song
> (Salim/Kalif ?? ) Don't Like It" which had Arab/ sterotype Khasidim.
> Help anyone?
>
> Bob

You are referring to "Rock the Casbah."  The video features not only a
sheikh-type figure but also a guy dressed up as a Hasid. Oddly enough, the
song's lyrics are basically nothing more than an anti-fundamentalist
variation on the old trope that authority figures don't understand/like
rock and roll, but that rock and roll is here to stay (it will never die).
I don't remember the  video that clearly but my recollection is that it is
basically a live-action cartoon, silly but not particularly offensive; if
memory serves, it ends with the sheik and the Hasid dancing together to
the Clash. But I could be wrong.

--George Robinson
ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER?
Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL
WRITERS UNION!
Web <http://www.nwu.org>, Ph:(212) 254-0279,
Email <nwu (at) nwu(dot)org>