Re: List of Top 100 Jewish Music Stores and resources

Hi all,

If others would comment, I'll try to keep an updated annotated list of
these (and other recommended) Jewish music stores for distribution to
the list (unless Ari or Judy plans to do something like that).

Thanks to Mayer Pasternack, Larry Solomon, and Rich Wolpoe for getting
us started.

My initial contribution to the list:

Sephardic House (2112 Broadway  NY, NY 10023  212.496.2173)
I suggest this as the most comprehensive single source of Sephardic
material (CDs, cassettes, videos, and print).  (Joel, can you
comment?)  [It is in a landmark bank building -- check it out if you
visit during banking hours].  They have a list that is periodically
updated by newsletter.  You can either drop in (phone first to be sure
that they are in) or mail order (or phone order?)

Bob

P.S.  I'm especially interested in sources, Jewish and other, for out
of print recordings (e.g., LPs) of Jewish music.

Here's the list as annotated so far  (I hope that some computer wiz
from the list who knows about creating attachments and formatting will
adopt this project.)

Jewish top 100 record stores
(Tara:  Mayer Pasternack  mayer (at) jewishmusic(dot)com 12/98)

COMPANY - CITY -- STATE
Israel Connection ------ Phoenix ------ AZ
Afikomen Jewish Books, Gifts & Arts ------ Berkeley ------ CA
Bob And Bob ------ Palo Alto ------ CA
Chabad Gift Shop ------ Santa Monica ------ CA
Dor L'dor ------ San Diego ------ CA

Hatikvah Music ------ Los Angeles ------ CA
I have ordered via email from both ?Hatikva. I've gotten great service
so far.
(Rich Wolpoe   wolpoe (at) ibi(dot)com 12/98)

House Of David ------ Valley Village ------ CA
Lark In The Morning ------ Mendocino ------ CA
Mazel Tov Gifts ------ San Francisco ------ CA
Shalom House ------ Woodland Hills ------ CA
Skirball Cultural Center ------ Los Angeles ------ CA
Sounds Write ------ San Diego ------ CA
Boutique Judaica ------ Denver ------ CO
Judaica Store ------ West Hartford ------ CT
Ahava ------ Boca Raton ------ FL
Chosen Gift ------ Miami ------ FL
Judaica Treasures ------ Fort Lauderdale ------ FL
Traditions ------ Aventura ------ FL
Judaica Corner ------ Atlanta ------ GA
Wendkos Discount Books ------ Atlanta ------ GA
Bariff Shop For Judaica ------ Chicago ------ IL
Hamakor Judaica ------ Niles ------ IL
Rosenblums ------ Chicago ------ IL
The Juke Box ------ Chicago ------ IL
Cong Beth El Zedek-Gallery Of Judaica ------ Indianapolis ------ IN

Concepts Of Art Ltd. ------ Lenox ------ MA
Beautiful store, run by a reaally sweet woman. Not exclusively Jewish
(maybe 40-60%), and didn't have much music last time I was there,
although it was a few years ago.
(Larry Solomon, Merkaz Judaica, shlomo (at) apk(dot)net 12/98)

Israel Book Shop ------ Brookline ------ MA
"Traditional" style Jewish bookstore, one of the largest in the
nation.
(Larry Solomon, Merkaz Judaica, shlomo (at) apk(dot)net 12/98)

Kolbo ------ Brookline ------ MA
Wonderful fantastic place, one of the first Jewish stores with a focus
on handcrafts, contemporary music and books, and a generally
non-Orthodox perspective and clientele. Anybody who goes to Boston
should check it out. And I'm not just saying that because I worked
there for years... :)
(Larry Solomon, Merkaz Judaica, shlomo (at) apk(dot)net 12/98)

Leventhal Sidman J C C - Gift Shop ------ Newton ------ MA
Bibelot ------ Baltimore ------ MD
Israeli Accents ------ Rockville ------ MD
Jacob's Ladder ------ Baltimore ------ MD
Jewish Bookstore Of Greater Washington ------ Wheaton ------ MD
Lisbons ------ Silver Spring ------ MD
Pern's ------ Baltimore ------ MD
Shabsie's Judaica ------ Baltimore ------ MD
Esther's Judaica ------ West Bloomfield ------ MI
Spitzer's Hebrew Book & Gift ------ Southfield ------ MI
Brochins Book & Gift Shop ------ Minneapolis ------ MN
The Source Unlimited ------ Saint Louis ------ MO

Judaica House ------ Teaneck ------ NJ
Lubavitch Center Of Essex County ------ West Orange ------ NJ
Skybook Association ------ Maplewood ------ NJ
Zoldan Judea Center ------ Teaneck ------ NJ
Eichler's - Mid Town ------ New York ------ NY

Eichler's Coney Island ------ Brooklyn ------ NY
The most awesome collection I've seen is at? I think they have the
equivlaent of a store front for just music besides a giagntic
book/sefroim store. The books titles are all computerized and easily
found, I would guess the same for the music titles
 (Rich Wolpoe   wolpoe (at) ibi(dot)com 12/98)

Eichler's Hebrew Books ------ Brooklyn ------ NY
Enjoy A Book Club ------ Cedarhurst ------ NY
Feller's ------ New York ------ NY
Five Star Judaica ------ Wesley Hills ------ NY
Gift World ------ Flushing ------ NY
Hadar Judaic Art And Gift Center ------ Albany ------ NY
Inspiration Gallery ------ New Rochelle ------ NY

J. Levine Co. ------ New York ------ NY
J. Levine's has also a really awesome selection, and that includes
some computer stuff that might have children's music too. (Rich Wolpoe
wolpoe (at) ibi(dot)com 12/98)

Jewish Quarter ------ White Plains ------ NY
Judaica Experience ------ New York ------ NY
Judaica Of Great Neck ------ Great Neck ------ NY
Judaica Plus ------ Cedarhurst ------ NY
Mostly Music ------ Brooklyn ------ NY
Riverdale Judaica ------ Bronx ------ NY
Sacred Music Press ------ New York ------ NY
The Jewish Book Center ------ New York ------ NY
The Jewish Museum-Gift Shop ------ New York ------ NY
Tradition ------ Rochester ------ NY
Tuvia's ------ Monsey ------ NY
West Side Judaica ------ New York ------ NY
Yussel's Place ------ Merrick ------ NY
Zion Lion ------ New Hyde Park ------ NY
Frank's Hebrew Book Store ------ South Euclid ------ OH
Jacob's Judaic Book & Gifts ------ University Heights ------ OH

Merkaz Judaica, Inc. ------ Woodmere ------ OH
Not appropriate for me to comment on this one... :
(Larry Solomon, Merkaz Judaica, shlomo (at) apk(dot)net 12/98)

The College Store ------ Cincinnati ------ OH
Bala Judaica ------ Bala Cynwyd ------ PA

Pinskers ------ Pittsburgh ------ PA
Haven't been here for a few years either (and it was before I opened
my own store so I was looking at it with different eyes), but I
remember being impressed. They had a nice music selection with a wide
range.
(Larry Solomon, Merkaz Judaica, shlomo (at) apk(dot)net 12/98)

Raanan Enterprises ------ Jenkintown ------ PA
Rosenberg Hebrew Books ------ Jenkintown ------ PA
Rhoda's Judaica Inc. ------ Providence ------ RI
Jewish Community Center Of Houston ------ Houston ------ TX
Moses, Hillel And Co. ------ Dallas ------ TX
New Traditions ------ Houston ------ TX
Source Gift Shop At The J.C.C ------ Dallas ------ TX
Keturah Fine Judaica ------ Seattle ------ WA

Tara West ------ Des Moines ------ WA
Is this yours, Mayer?
(Larry Solomon, Merkaz Judaica, shlomo (at) apk(dot)net 12/98)

Tara West - is not our company - it is run buy a lovely couple that
travel around the country with a trailer full of Jewish music and sets
up shop in shuls and JCC in areas that do not have access to Jewish
music otherwise. If you live in a remote area you might be able to
schedule a visit with them on their next road trip. They can be
reached at TaraWest1 (at) aol(dot)com
(Mayer Pasternack  mayer (at) jewishmusic(dot)com 12/98)

Tree Of Life Books & Judaica, Inc. ------ Seattle ------ WA
Beth Israel Gift Shop ------ Madison ------ WI
Traditions ------ Milwaukee ------ WI
Golds Book And Gift ------ Victoria, Australia ------
Israel Book & Gift Ltd. ------ Toronto, Ontario ------
Yerushalem Imports Ltd. ------ Vancouver ------ BC
Ness Music ------ Paris ------
Literatur Handlung ------ Munchen ------
Jewish Music Distribution ------ Hendon, London ------
John Trotter/Manor House Books ------ Finchley, London ------
Joseph's Bookstore ------ London ------

Musica Judaica ------ Bet Shemesh ------
Bet Shemesh in Israel? I don't think it was there when I lived on
Kibubtz Tzora... is it new, or was I just
oblivious? (Larry Solomon, Merkaz Judaica, shlomo (at) apk(dot)net 12/98)

Musica Judaica is our representitive in Israel that does distribution
of the Tara Publications line and the rest of the Anglo-Golus music to
the few that are interested in it in Israel. There is a great void in
the music that is available in Israel and there is very little
interest in the "American Style" music here especially klezmer. Much
of the popular music in the united states helps Jews identify with
their judaism and culture. The secular Israelis are interested in
American style pop/rock and have their jewish identity by virtue of
the fact that they live there. As a result there is a great
polarization in the music that is found there. If you are interested
in contacting Musica Judaica call 011 972 2 999-1035 or they can be
reached at dano (at) panix(dot)com  (Mayer Pasternack, 12/98)

David's Shop ------ Cannaregio, Venezia ------
Broekmans & Van Poppel B.V ------ Holland ------
Classico Music Co. Ltd. ------ Casti ------

mail/phone/internet order:

I have ordered via emai lfrom both Tara and Hatikva. I've gotten great
service so far.
(Rich Wolpoe   wolpoe (at) ibi(dot)com 12/98)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->