Re: List of Top 100 Jewish Music Stores and resources

True and thanks, but if you're browsing or picking things out because
you've just discovered that A is connected to B, you're going to be a bit
less methodical about how you shop. If I'm looking for something specific
that I can't find anyplace else, I'll go web hunting, but only then.

                                                        EK

At 11:23 AM 12/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>There is an inherent problem with what you are trying to do. You seem to be
>looking for sources of "oddball" products. The average judaica shop at stops
>the equivalent of top 100 recording while the better ones (there are 10 in
>the US) stock 200 - 500 titles. For the most part they are all getting most
>of their music from about 7 distributors in the US. There are a few stores
>that take product on consignment from local artists. But by and large the
>best way to get specialty items is from the distributors direct retail
>catalogs or on the web. Anything that they do not carry you will need to get
>directly from the artists. There are a few stores in the country that have
>eclectic assortments of product that has a ccumulated over the years both I
>am unaware of any that are computerized or have a catalog.
>
>The following are the major distributors in the US that sell retail and have
>the largest selections that you are looking for.
>
>USA
>Tara - Jewishmusic.com
>Soundswrite - soundswrite.com
>Hatikvah (Simon) - only via email - Simon has loads of eclectic stuff you
>wont find anywhere else
>Hataklit - they have a website predominantly Israeli products
>Sisu (Kol Ami) sisuent.com - there website is sparse and they dominate more
>in videos
>Aderet -  aderet.com they have a retail that is predominantly Frum or
>orthodox music
>Sifrutake - they have a selection available on the jewishmall.com they have
>a retail store in Brooklyn
>Sameach - is the other orthodox distributor and they have no retail
>

>Virtually all the jewish music getting into the stores - are through these
>companies and the odds of finding other products on a consistent basis is
>hit or miss. It is true that most of the Judaica stores can get almost
>anything through these distributors - they sometimes do special order
>products for customers - but many of them do not stock the products that
>sell one or two copies a year for the specialty buyer.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->