Re: List of Top 100 Jewish Music Stores and resources

Mayer,

Those of us in the group now know that you, Simon, and Larry are
excellent sources for Jewish music.

Even so, an annotated list of local Jewish Music Stores can still
serve a number of functions.  We may want to find out about stores
that others on the list like (with information on such things as
selection, knowledge & personality of owner(s), ambience, prices, even
location, phone number, URL, hours...) for the following reasons
(among others):
1. Convenience.  Quick source for those top 100 titles.
2. Browsing.  Some of us may still do this for recreation.  (Note that
the JewishMusic.com web site is browsable too with lots of recorded
excerpts.)
3. Surprise.  Discovering Jewish music stores that you didn't even
know about right in your back yard.
4. Recommendations.  Now we can answer friends and family when they
ask, "Where can I get Jewish music where I live?"
5. Travel.  Where to go when we're on the road.  Perhaps some local
stores are also more likely to carry product (e.g., local klezmer
bands) that is different from our regular sources.
6. "Oddball" products.  I guess that I fall into this category.  After
about 25 years of collecting, I have a list of about 50 recordings
that are specifically Jewish (mostly on LP) that I know I would like
to own and do not.  (And that's only the ones I know about.)   Perhaps
I should post them and ask for the help of list members.  In the
meantime, it would be great to find out about those "few stores in the
country that have eclectic assortments of product that has accumulated
over the years".   What is old and just so much garbage for the
vendor, might be of value to someone far away.  Perhaps there are a
few others in the group who also would like to know about these
stores.  But surely this is not the prime reason why the group may
continue to develop such a list.  (In any case, thanks to Judy Fertig
et al, we know about libraries that may have these hardest to find
recordings of Jewish music.)

I hope that you feel that we have been making an appropriate use of
your list.

And thanks for your additional comments on distributors and the ways
of the Jewish music wholesale/retail world.

Sincerely,
Bob