Re: Kol Nidre

Robert,

Thanks for the advice on an anti-Semitic program.  But, as you saw,
what some may see as of marginal taste, others may see as blatant
anti-Semitism (e.g., "Jap Rap").   Clearly judgment calls must be made
in cases of self-depricating humor (e.g., Jews making jokes about
cheap Jews and Jewish mothers).

As to Kol Nidre, I'll find my file before the High Holidays or if
someone ask me to do a program.  For now, let me include the Beethoven
on the list and add two more listed in Gerson's formerly cited book:
Paul Dessau: C Major Symphony
Arnold Schoenberg: Kol Nidre, Op.39
a Cello/Piano anthology by Sonia Wieder Atherton (cello) on the
    classical ADDA label includes a Kol Nidre arrangement for 2 cellos
    by Wider-Atherton

That makes 4 (in addition to the dozen or so renditions I have of the
Bruch) and there are several more (let alone the cantorial renditions
and those by pop artists (Perry Como and several others) and Yom
Kippur inspired popular music).

I'll be sending letters/brochures on my musical programs out in
January and if some organization sponsors a Kol Nidre presentation
I'll tell the group and hope that some list members can get to hear
them.

Bob Wiener

P.S. I hope that some of you get to hear the Zamir concert today
(Sunday) in Carnegie Hall with Shoshana Damari and other wonderful
artists.  One of the featured artists is Lorna Wallach-Kalet.  She is
a friend (from my childhood synagogue in Brooklyn, summer camp, and
Town & Village Synagogue where, until recently, she was hazzan).  I
would be most appreciative if anyone who does attend gives the group a
report.