From:  MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com[SMTP:MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com]
Sent:  Wednesday, December 16, 1998 1:21 AM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant.
Subject:  Re: Holiday Music

In a message dated 12/15/1998 10:48:54 PM Central Standard Time,
wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com writes:

<< You wrote "What's wrong with "Holiday Music" [CD displays] only having
 Christmas music? ...  Who cares?"  The answer, as my posts show, is that I
 do.  These bins are not what they pretend to be.  They don't contain
 anything but Christmas music.   >>

I used to be offended by this sort of gentile/American tunnelvision, but
lately it hasn't bothered me.  I enjoy my neighborhood going ablaze with
lights (although the plastic lawn ornaments still do bother me, esthetically).
What I am trying to say is that this particular brand of American gentile
culture seems relatively benign and even pleasant, and I wonder if we wouldn't
do better to choose our battles before feeling the sting of oppression.  Does
it matter if as far as they are concerned, Holiday Music = Christmas Music?
It's a tradition here in these United States, although in the PC sweep of
things I imagine it will be cleaned up sooner than later and replaced with an
inoffensive "Xmas Music" sign.

I've been working on the first Jewish Christmas carol this season.  It will
contain the line "From the Catholics to the Amish/All the goyim just got
heimish..."  I hope that establishes just where I stand on good taste this
holiday season.

Peace On Earth.

Lori

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->