Re: Holiday Music

Lori,

It seems that you've responded to a single sentence out of context.  If you
read my 3 prior posts you would see that I suggested that in "the PC sweep
of things" (your words) the label was changed from "Christmas Music" to
"Holiday Music".  In other words, I think that "Holiday Music" is the
"cleaned up" version.  Perhaps other group members will say what they think.

You misunderstand me if you think that I oppose private Christmas displays
in public (e.g., Christmas lights).  After all, we proudly display our
hanukiyot in our window.

(If we were to discuss religious displays on public property, Christian or
Jewish, then my reaction is quite different, despite what Antonin Scalia
thinks; but I think that goesbeyond the scope of our group.)

What I do oppose is the notion of a brother/sister-hood that leads us to
believe that we are part of (to use Wolf Krakowski's words) a "warm, fuzzy"
Judeo-Christian tradition in which everything is fungible and the religions
blend (perhaps Wolf would say bleed) into each other.  Multi-culturalism at
its best is acceptance of diversity, not a striving for homogeneity, a
"gentile/American tunnelvision".  My concern is precisely that some may come
to believe that Christmas observance is not merely "a particular brand of
American gentile culture", but American culture itself.  And that it's OK
for Jews to adopt it.

Is your "Jewish Christmas carol" a parody, the juxtaposition of two mutally
exclusive ideas intended to amuse?  Or is it an attempt to say that we're
just like them,.to participate in Christmas, an example of Jews for
Christmas?

Again, I think that the message of Hanukah is that Jews are not just like
non-Jews.  And they're not just like us.  I don't claim (as others might)
any religious or cultural superiority for us (just as I acknowledge no such
inferiority), but I do assert the difference.  And I believe that it is a
difference that matters.  I believe that it is what the Maccabees fought
for.

Perhaps that battle needs to be refought in every generation.  Perhaps we
need a miracle in every generation to maintain our identity.  Perhaps that
is what is meant by the second Hanukah candle blessing, "bayamim hahem,
bazman hazeh."

Bob