RE: Holiday Music

Just called the Mostly Music ,store and was told by the clerk that they have 15
Purim recordings (tapes/CD's).   When I asked for more info he transferred me
to Mr. Mendelowitz (I guess the owner) who upon further inquiry explained to me
that 15 recordings may be an exaggeration, but he was too busy right now to go
count them; and "anyway these tapes are put away till their season."   He
explained that the repertoire is limited and what he basically has is different
performers presenting their versions of the same limited traditional
repertoire.   Some Purim recordings include various contemporary parodies, but
this is basically it.

As for the Hanukah recordings, it's basically the same.   Different recordings
by different performers each singing the same limited traditional Hanukah
repertoire, "nothing new".  When I asked him if he has any Sukes or Shavuoes
recordings, he said he has very little.  Those recordings with the sukes- or
ShavueS-related title have very few sukes- or shavues-specific songs, but do
include regular Jewish songs that are sung on these holidays AND at any other
times of the year.

So this is a confirmation of what I wrote here before.    I have spent many
afternoons at Eichlers Avenue J store over these many, many years I know the
Chassidic/Yiddish/religious market very well.

There may be more of a variety of holiday material in Israel, but I don't know
the latest Israeli songs.

I also don't know the English Hanukah recordings that have arisen in the last
few years (because my kids refuse to listent to them).   Heard a few songs on
the Tara web site by very popular singers and was most unimpressed by the
material.   Maybe that's why American kids hate Hebrew school.

By the way, I am told that Mostly Music has a web site where we can even sample
the music.  They also have a snail-mail catalogue.   Will go visit.

Reyzl