Re: Peter Himmelman

In article <Pine(dot)3(dot)89(dot)9507030004(dot)A538972034-0100000 (at)
JTSA(dot)EDU>, hebass (at) JTSA(dot)EDU says:

>I am sorry to insist in this point.  Any one can get a conversion and it
>does not need to be an orthodox one, just a conversion to Judaism.  It is
>difficult in most cases because the person interested in the conversion
>will be rejected at least twice before being accepted to the study part
>of the conversion.  The convertee has to acquire a whole lot of Jewish
>knowledge that apparently some Jewish people do not have.
>        Children, however, are the easiest people to convert.  If they
>are newborns and the parents are going to educate them in a Jewish
>environment, the only other requirement is a circuncision and a mikvah.
>        We must stop thinking and assuming that orthodox is the only
>authentic way of neing Jewish, and if you are not Orthodox you might as
>well not be religious.  This is wrong!  First of all, which orthodoxy are
>you reffering to?  Second, some orthodox sects practice something realy
>close to idolatry.
>        You do not need to add the word orthodox in front of Jewish.  If
>it is Jewish it is enough.

Hello,

I have never, ever in my postings in alt.music.jewish
said or meant to imply that one must be Orthodox in order to be
Jewish.  However, in the case of conversion to Judaism,
I am discussing this matter from a traditional Halachic standpoint,
to which you obviously are taking a more liberal approach.
It remains that the more traditional a conversion is,
the more universally accepted it is.
Reform conversions are generally not recognized by
Conservative and Orthodox, Conservative conversions
generally not by Orthodox,
and even some Orthodox conversions
by some extreme religious Judiac sects.

Shalom,