Re: Peter Himmelman

In article <3saot5$p3u (at) ns(dot)concourse(dot)com>, tgg (at)
bronze(dot)coil(dot)com (Martin Grossman) says:

>Himmelman has three children with Maria Dylan Himmelman.
According to P.H.(in a recent interview), he is determined to avoid the
>usual showbiz marriage collapse syndrome.
Maria is Bob's adopted daughter. Her mother is the former Shirley Noznisky,
later Sara
>Lowndes, then Sara Dylan. By all accounts, she is and always was Jewish.
 This would make their kids Halachically Jewish. They
>sent their kids to Jewish camps while they were growing up.
Bob is supporter of Chabad thes days, as is Peter who davens with
>Chabad in L.A.

The information that I have, is that Dylan's wife was not Jewish when
he married her.  Only when a person is born Jewish (i.e. has a Jewish
mother) or if a person has had an Orthodox conversion is the person
Halachically Jewish.  Sara Dylan was not born Jewish, and if she
converted, it was not of the proper kind of conversion.  Only the
Orthodox standard of conversion is universally accepted by Judaic law.
Sara already had Maria by a previous marriage/relationship, so Maria
has no Jewish roots whatsoever according to Halacha.  Just because Bob
is a supporter of the Chabad, does not make his children
Halachically Jewish, and so, technically, Peter's children
are not Jewish either unless Maria has had an Orthodox conversion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big admirer of Peter and a great fan of his
music and I am glad he is so proud of his Judaism, but I cannot stand
hypocrisy.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->