Re: "Kol (Isha)" sort of

First of all, I am not going to enter this year's fracas, since much of what
I said last round seemed to me  misinterpreted and I still bear scar tissue.

Permit me a few "thoughts out loud" especially directed at the question of
"the chain of command" of authority.

It seems to me that the chain of command within Judaism and subsequent
interpretations have so evolved and been re-interpreted that outside of
certain keystone core values and beliefs about the nature of G-d and man's
relation to G-d, there's little resemblance from the days of Mt. Sinai to
the heyday of the Temple in Yerushalayim to the present.

Pre Temple Judaic practices were quite different from the era of the two
Temples.

After the destruction of the First  Temple, and a brief exile in Babylonia,
the big push was to return and rebuild the Temple. But after the fall of the
Second Temple,  Yokhanan Ben Zakai set up his academy at Yavneh and Rabbinic
or Halakhic Judaism, no longer Temple based (although references and
symbolic practices connected with it. abound.) began to flourish as a
response to the lack of a single homeland, to the reality of Diaspora life.

Halakhic Judaism with geographically-scattered rabbinic authorities and
opinions in the drivers seat replaced Temple Judaism with its clear-cut
priestly authority.

Isn't it interesting that even today, when Jerusalem is the capital of
modern Israel, there's no big Third Temple movement going on?  The reality
of whose real estate the space is comes into play of course. But it is no
longer the absolute dead center of our religious faith and practice..

Conclusion. We have evolved. We have moved on. Today's Judaism, even Ultra
Orthodoxy is very different from that of 2000 years ago.

Think out loud.  Are we perhaps in a post-Halakhic state of development, in
a transition from one seat of authority (rabbinic) to something else,
perhaps more communal, more democratic?

Now this doesn't mean we throw out everything -  Pre Temple times are
reflected in many of our holidays and of course in Shabes - Temple practices
are still symbolically there - Peysakh pops to mind - Rabbis will probably
be there and the wisdom of the ages and sages will always be taken under
advisement -- but their absolute authority comes continually under question.
Even some Orthodox women are questioning certain limitations and practices.

So stay tuned. As my beloved father used to say - a mekhaye tsu zayn a yid.
A pleasure to be a Jew.

Sylvia Schildt
Baltimore, Maryland