"Kol (Isha)"

B"H Munich

--- Judith Pinnolis <pinnolis (at) brandeis(dot)edu> wrote:
> Alex:
> That may be the p'shat of the halakah,
well, at least knowing the pshat would be
a good place to start this discussion, don´t
you think? The many wild peregrinations the
discussion has taken would have been stopped,
for the most part.

 but the
> _effect_ is a prohibition on
> Othodox Jewish women singing in public, I would
> say....

NO! It would only lead to a prohibition of a woman
singing in the presence of Orthodox Jewish men!
As I assume you know, there are several Orthodox
Jewish women groups who sing for other women ONLY.
That is their choice - they don´t want to sing for
men. But that misses the main point, too: that
Jewish women would be allowed to sing for a non-Jewish
audience of men AND women. The ONLY people who
would need to excuse themselves would be Orthodox
men - the women need hardly be affected.

May I draw an example? One of the local saunas here is
open for men and women. Except today. Thursday is
Women´s Day. Am I, as a male, discriminated against?
Absolutely. It makes things more difficult for
me, since I would (theoretically) have to drive 15
minutes to a different sauna, which has mixed sauna
Thursdays. Should I try to change the city law, and
force the city to allow me to use the local sauna
on Thursday to the complete consternation of the
women who like to enjoy each other´s (non-male)
company? Or worse yet, shall I ignore the
city, and GO INTO THE SAUNA? IGNORE THE WOMEN WHO
ARE THERE? STATE THAT MY RIGHT TO ADMISSION EXCLUDES
THEIR RIGHT TO PRIVACY?

Alex