Re: "Kol (Isha)"

B"H Munich

> Wouldn't most kol-isha supporting rabbinical
> scholars hold that because men are not allowed to
> listen to a woman's singing voice, it is the woman's
> responsibility not to sing in places that a
> kol-isha-observant man is likely to hear them?
Interesting choice of words, but that´s not
the way it works. When you talk about
"responsibility", you should know that the
law doesn´t function that way. Or better, let
me give you a better example. It´s forbidden
(according to Halacha) to listen to music
during the Three Weeks before Tisha B'Av.
But "I" am not forbidden to play during that time -
since my parnassa is dependant on it, Halacha would
argue that my need for an income for three weeks
takes precedence over the Three Weeks restrictions.
But Jews would be prevented from listening to me.
In fact, I go so far as to tell my Jewish listeners
(during the Three Weeks) that according to
the Halacha, I´m allowed to play, but they´re
forbidden to listen. Then, it´s their decision whether
to stay or not. Frankly, most continue to listen.
I find this a suitable analogy to the Kol Isha
debate.

Let women sing for their general public.
Let women decline to sing for the
male Jewish population generally, as musicians decline
to play for the general Jewish population during the
Three Weeks. And let women discreetly advise their
audience not to transgress the sin of Kol Isha, and in
that way pass the onus on to the listener, which
in both cases is where it belongs.

Agreed?

> A classic example is that observant Jews should not
> participate in a university graduation ceremony held
> on the Sabbath-- reason given is that even if they
> wouldn't be violating Sabbath work restrictions by
> attending, their family members might feel the need
> to drive to the ceremony.
Interesting point. But that doesn´t tally with
the present discussion.

Alex