Fw: One klezmer's experience

Thank you, Lori and the others for your thoughtful explanations and teaching me
where your sentiments come from.  So it is not Christians, per se, that you
don't want to play klezmer for, but Messianic Jews in particular because they
believe they are a sect of Judaism, or at least that is what they try to
convince people.  One of the ways they do this is by having klezmer played at
their functions to give the congregation a Jewish feel.  Your playing the music
just feeds into this skewed, sneaky proseletyzing.

But what if one were to take the view that klezmer allows Messianic Jews to get
in touch with their roots - that, even though they have become Christians, they
don't want to forget that they are also of Jewish heritage and choose to
celebrate this?  Isn't it in one's own best interest to have friends of various
religious and non-religious persuasions?

Besides, music has a life of its own, as does art, and once it's in the public
purview, there's no ownership.  Klezmer's roots, I've been reading, are not
just Jewish, but Gypsy, Belarusian, Romanian, Greek and others.  I found some
klezmer tunes in a gypsy book, but the titles were different, and some modern
tunes sound distinctly klezmer.  How could such great music not influence the
music world and how can a person be sure when he's playing other music that it
hasn't been influenced by klezmer?

Perhaps from my perspective as a non-spiritual, pragmatic non-believer I don't
have a problem with playing music for anyone who likes to hear it.  I also like
to play klezmer because it's an affirmation that says:  "Hey, the bad guys
didn't win and Jewish culture is thriving, laughing, dancing, crying and
feeling alive!"  I'm also aware that my perspective may be naive and ignorant
and, had I had your experience, would probably feel the same way as you.
However, the beauty of klezmer has made me curious, to want to know more about
those who have created this music and who carry on the tradition still.  This
is why I subscribe to this site, why I want to learn more about what makes
klezmer what it is.

I hear a sadness that klezmer has overflowed beyond the realm of Judaism and is
not appreciated by others in the way that it was meant to, because klezmer is
not just music, but a way to become closer to God - I hope I'm expressing this
right.  And that in order to really appreciate klezmer properly, one should be
Jewish and use the music as a way to reach this closeness.

I'll leave it at that, and didn't mean to quite get so carried away.  I wasn't
sure if I should even have brought the subject up in the first place, but
there's no better way of learning more than to stir things up a bit.  Thanks
again for teaching me.

Mary