  From: david lowther
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 7:46 PM
  Subject: Fw: One klezmer's experience

  Hello from an agnostic, formerly Anglican married to another agnostic of
Jewish/Christian descent.

  I think I understand where you're coming from in that as Jews have been
persecuted mercilessly by Christians among others, Messianic Jews must seem
like turncoats and to play for them would be tantamount to agreeing they had a
point.  Is this somewhat right?

  Would it not be also inappropriate for a Jew to play Mendelssohn-Bartholdy's
music?  Or, should a First Nations carver not show his work to another First
Nations person who lives with White people and has relinquished his Native
ways?  I am not trying to belittle your position - I just can't get my head
around not playing wonderful music for people who want to hear it.

  If I wanted a klezmer group to play at my non-religious wedding, should they
decline because I was Christian or because I'm not a practising Jew?  Would
they decline to play for my husband because he is not a practising Jew?  What
if it was for an Australian aboriginal couple who had never heard of Judaism
and weren't Jews through no fault of their own?  I, myself, had no choice but
to be Christian as a child - should I then be denied hearing soul-stirring,
moving klezmer at special occasions?

  By the way, I was honored and privileged to play in the synagogue for a
wedding and my hubby and I played at a Jewish friend's funeral.  The service
was Unitarian.  Her husband told us later that he had felt numb about her
passing until we played her favorite klezmer tunes during the service.  He said
he suddenly felt close to her and was able to cry.  This was her heritage, just
as mine is the skirl of Scotch bagpipes - which is not to say that I'd like to
have "From Yon Bonnie Banks" played at my funeral.  Come to think of it, maybe
I would.  But I'd also like to have "Dybbuk Shers" played, or perhaps "Nign" or
"Undoing World".

  Shalom,
  Mary Lowther

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->