Re: One klezmer's experience

thanks for articulating that, Lori!  well-said indeed.

I, on the other hand, was hired to play for a Lag B'Omer women's drumming
circle event that was passed off as a self-empowerment sort of Jewish women's
gathering to me when I was called about it, and advertised as quite New Age-y.
But when I got there it was a rather rigid event trying to bring women into
more subservient traditional Jewish ways and a lot of political beliefs which I
will simply say were to me reprehensibly rightwing.  a sponsor website I looked
at afterward turned out to be a well-funded neo-Orthodox movement office.
Since I had agreed to it as a business arrangement, I tried proposing one or
two
participatory ideas I thought would be more self-expressive and empowering --
things I knew from women's Rosh Chodesh groups and feminist seders etc. -- but
these were clearly unacceptable to the strategy of the motivational
speaker/leader. so  then I played but refused to give eye contact or anything
beyond a
beat to the leaders of the gathering.  I felt very spiritually compromised and
deliberately misled.... the purpose of the music as used here seemed to be
helping these repressed people blow off steam and have a creative outlet, while
trying to attract/proselytize other Jewish women.  nothing wrong with that in
itself I guess, but they had purposely not told me about their movement
affiliation and underlying beliefs, sticking instead to the recruiting strategy
cover of this as a vaguely alternative-lifestyle event and creative outlet.  it
was held at New York's PS 122 performance space theater on an off night, to
further this image of something experimental and progressive.

pretty creepy.
Eve
- e v e  s i c u l a r  -
drummer/bandleader