Re: One klezmer's experience

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 3:02 PM
  Subject: Re: One klezmer's experience

  <1) That people who don't play klezmer with Chassidic soul are divorcing it
from its source (but what if non-Jews were playing it with that
inspiration--would that be OK?)

  2) That people who play Chassidic music but don't keep Jewish law are not
doing any service to the Chassidim who inspire them.  Women shouldn't sing, we
shouldn't play on Shabbos, we should devote our lives to mitzvos, and then the
music all makes sense in context.>

  How observant were Dave Tarras, Naftule Brandwein, etc?

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->