Re: One klezmer's experience

If I understand Lori right, her band chooses not to play for messianic groups
because to do so furthers, in a concrete way, their mission. These messianic
groups use the trappings of Judaism, like jewish stars and klezmer music, to
deceive people and, ultimately, bring them to Christianity. That is their
mission, to bring people to Christianity. The deception is hiding the christian
religion under a thin layer of Jewish symbols. The symbols legitimate the
messianic groups in the eyes of those whom they seek to convert. This abuse of
Jewish symbols takes advantage of well meaning, but uninformed people who seek
to (re)connect with their Jewishness.  This is wrong. Very wrong. I have no
beef with those who seek to proselytize. (Well, I do, but for argument's sake
I'll say I don't.) But I will not tolerate this kind of malicious deception.
And I know, from experience, that these people are ruthless in their deception.
I go to a jewish law school and at one time there was a group of messianic jews
on campus called the Original Law club. It was eventually exposed that they
were a part of the campus crusade for Christ, but when confronted about what
they actually were, they outright lied, to my face, again and again.

I think for Lori and her group to refuse to play for messianic people is not
only appropriate, it is commendable. Thank you Lori and Maxwell Street. You
rock.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Part of what bugs me about klezmer becoming a
fad or just another musical heritage for everyone to choose from is that, in a
sense, klezmer is religious music. Its modes are derived from the synagogue. It
developed largely for ceremonial purposes (like weddings). And while, of
course, it was profoundly influenced by the areas in which it was developed, it
was nonetheless developed by Jews for Jews. Yes, I said it! There is a depth of
meaning and connection there, for me, as a Jew, that cannot be duplicated by
any other music. That connection can, however, be easily destroyed by
commodification. Call me crazy, call me racist, but I'm pretty protective of my
cultural heritage. When Kool and the Gang's Celebration follows Hava Negilah
which follows the Chicken Dance at a wedding, well, I find it more than
irritating. And I mean that metaphorically. When everything has equal value,
nothing has any value. And that's not a happy place to be, spiritually speaking.

Klezmer has context specific meaning. That meaning is expanding, as it should,
as we play with tradition and push boundaries. Does that mean that non-Jews
should not play klezmer music? Absolutely not. I scarcely need to mention that
some of the finest klezmer musicians around are not Jewish (such as Kurt
Bjorling). But the best musicians, Jewish and non, are well aware of that
context and that meaning and ground themselves in it.

I say this without malice or anger toward anyone on this list. I ask only that
we recognize what exactly is going on here and why emotions run so high on
topics like this.

-rachael