Laura Wetzler concert

Yesterday afternoon I had the great pleasure of hearing Laura Wetzler and her
six-piece band at Merkin Hall here in New York City. As always, Laura sang with
great precision, beauty, and gusto. All the numbers with the band--two
percussionists, an oud player, a stringed tsimbalon-like eastern instrument, a
bass-player, and Alicia Svigals on violin--were truly exceptional. All seven of
them really cooked, and created quite a fresh fusion of eastern and western
music. Their version of Laura's mystical song, "A Narrow Bridge" was glorious
music making--a real highlight in my estimation.

Eliott Kahn