Re: Wagner and Liszt

At 02:55 PM 3/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

Actually, there's a lot that's explicit in the film , so be warned if that
sort of thing is a problem for you.  If one is really concerned about
historical veracity, let me wear another one of my hats briefly--as a
researcher on disability and the arts--and note that Frida's disability is
depicted as resulting exclusively from an accident and not from her polio
or (suspected) spina bifida.  Some of my friends who study film find this
really problematic, because of the assumption that it's honorable  to be
'wounded', shameful to be 'diseased'.

If this seems truly off-topic, let me bring it just a tad closer to home by
saying that I just taught a documentary film about Hitler's treatment of
people with disabilities to my music and movies class and that I'm
currently involved in a project that will bring together Holocaust and
disability scholars around these issues.  Part of the project is the
dance-drama "Hannelore", about the brilliant artist Hannelore Baron, a
German-Jewish Holocaust survivor who was also a person with mental
illness.  If you happen to be in Vancouver, BC, Wednesday, March 19,
choreographer/dancer Judith Brin Ingber and
I will be performing that and other works on Jewish themes at UBC Woodward
IRC Lecture Theatre 6, 7:00-9:20 pm.   To the best of my knowledge, free
and open to the public.

We have a bunch more performances of this and other works coming to a city
that may be near you.  We'll keep you posted.

Shalom,

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)