Re: The Pianist

The core issue for me in this debate is how did Szpilman define himself...   a
question that may shed some light on his decisions. The film, or the events of
his life seem to suggest that being a musician was the main focus of his
life... more so than being a Jew... How else can one understand his decision to
stay in a country in which his entire family was murdered, his entire people
were murdered, and he was fully aware of the degree to which his own non-Jewish
countrymen participated in the extermination?  It's impossible to "judge" such
decisions, but it's important to try and understand them...

Was he indifferent to his Jewishness?  Did he see himself as a Pole first, Jew
second, as did so many unfortunate German-Jews?  Was staying in Poland (as a
successful musician) the ultimate act of defiance... proving to the Poles and
to the rest of the world that Jews are worth while, contributing citizens of
the world?

Who knows.

Shirona

Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
 Visit my website at    www.shirona.com
Listen to my music at www.mp3.com/shirona