Re: Songs about food in Jiddisch

Re: Songs about food in JiddischAnd there is also Gefilte Fish!...
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sylvia Schildt
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 1:47 PM
  Subject: Re: Songs about food in Jiddisch

  Shana tova.

  Three others come to mind .... the first I am sure some will recognize and
help me with - it's a comparison between rich and poor. when a rich man eats
meat, it's such and such, but when a poor man eats meat, it's just a something
or other. That's the pattern of the song - meat, fish, bread. Help!

  The second one is a folk favorite - Varnichkes.

  The last one is a borscht belt classic aptly named Esn.  It can be found on a
recent CD of Yiddish humor and it enumerates the entire typical Grossinger's
type menu down to the alka-seltzer.

  Sylvia Schildt
  Chair
  8th World Conference
  International Association of Yiddish Clubs (IAYC)
  Baltimore, MD September 4,5,6,7 2003