Re: Songs about food in Jiddisch

Sylvia, the one you are thinking of is "Lomir ale zingen a zemerl" (Mir
trogn a gezang, pp. 156-157).

May I recommend "Burikes" from my CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught
Me; Volume One: Passover, which Michael Alpert and I sing, about a poor
couple not having enough money to buy beets or matse mehl for peysakh?

How about "Bublitshki bagels"?

Or "Kartofl-zup mit shvomen" (Mir trogn a gezang, p. 216-218).

Shvartse karshelekh mentions cherries, but the song isn't really about them.

Do I remember seeing a song called "goldene yoykh"?

Then there's "Hop, mayne homentashn" and a variety of ditties about
latkes and homentashn.

There's a section on food in Zemerl at

 http://campuscgi.princeton.edu/~klez/zemerl/display.pl?subcategory=Food

but I cant' seem to access it today to see what's in it.

"Der Beker", the baker baking.

"Di mume hodl" baking for shabes.

And that's all I can think of for now.

Lorele

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->