Re: Sephardic accent

I think the accent has been documented for several decades--it isn't Ashkenazic
vs. Sephardic (as I've seen it written about) but Ashkenazic vs. Modern Israeli
(which is sort of a muddle between older Sephardic and Ashkenazic, but more
Sephardic than not, and usually described as Sephardic). Benjamin Harshav had
great fun dissecting the modern Hebrew accent in "Language in Time of
Revolution" (a stunning account of the revival of Hebrew and its place in
Jewish culture in the last century, including the culture wars with Yiddish and
European languages as languages of critical Jewish expression). He also
mentions the contrast with European, Ashkenazic Hebrew pronunciation as
modernists saw it:

"... Hebrew as opposed to Diaspora Yiddish; the Sephardi accent" as a "pioneer"
and "masculine" language as opposed to the "moaning" and religious Ashkenazi
Hebrew;..."

The accent has also been mentioned in some of the recent books on changes in
the American Jewish community and the return of Hebrew prayer to the Reform
movement. Jack Wertheimer, in "A People Divided" (1993), on p. 104:

"The renewed interest in traditionalism manifests itself in a vareity of ways
within Reform temples, which over the past two to three decades have introduced
the following: an increased number of readings in Hebrew (which are now spoken
with an Israeli, Sephardic pronunciation)...."

Anyway, there's a lot there, but the short answer is that it appears that the
change is based on Israeli Hebrew, not directly on Sephardic pronunciation
(except insofar as Sephardic pronunciation reflected a change from "Yiddish and
the ghetto mentality" to the halutzim, or, more likely, represented to local
accent and the "cool," just as lots of us white kids learned to talk black
during the Sixties and Seventies.

Needless to say, not everyone likes the change. A friend of mine in Oakland
used to get quite offended at Israeli pronunciation of his old world Ashkenazic
prayers. "It's a ='tal-is, not a tal-'it", he'd say.

ari