Re:Re: breaking the string of pearls without knowing the culture

Lori,
Thanks. For my part, in the first place, I was hoping that Michel (who also
signs himself as Michal) had made typing errors in transcribing at least some
of that line of lyrics. In an earlier post, I made a point of saying that he
probably meant well. His repost of it with a translation but no corrections
confirmed what I had feared, unfortunately.

A technical note: He mistranslated the Yiddish word 'aynsteyn' in the original
song to mean the same as the German word "Einstehen" which has a flavor of
'entering' and 'settling in' (in the sense that Thomas Friedman doesn't like).
The cognate Yiddish word 'aynsteyn,' in the context of the song, as I said,
evokes a flavor of being settled and secure. That's only a nuance, perhaps, but
it is relevant to the fit as well as the language of his change in lyrics.

I am not even criticizing Michel's desire to express his view at a Klezmer
concert that Jews and Palestinians should find peace, only that this
view needs to be injected into this traditional and
simple Hasidic song in this way. Political statements can be successfully
introduced into traditional material; If we look at the Klezmatics' repertoire,
there are some excellent examples (as well as one or two that I felt uneasy
about). In this case, I don't feel the political statement was done
thoughtfully with regard for the material. I don't think, it belongs there.
Michel should, of course, be free to write and perform anything to express
himself, including that view, in Yiddish, if his Yiddish is up to it, or in
French, German, or any other language, if it is not.

My point about Yiddish is that his lyrics were German or very broken Yiddish.
Yiddish is a language with a "chip on its shoulder" (another Americanism),
having been disparaged by everyone,
German, Jewish maskilim, Hebraists, etc. I don't think it is too much to ask
that Yiddish be correct Yiddish and not just any hodge-podge someone with some
recollections of a few words from their (grand)parents might use. Even mistakes
would be excusable if there is evidence of at least some effort made.

Please reread what I wrote. I may have been
unforgiving after repeatedly reading those lyrics without corrections, but I,
at least, tried to take
the matter seriously. I seem to be the only one who noticed or cared enough to
call those mistakes in his lyrics (which he seems to be so proud of) to his
attention. I am not looking for a job as his Yiddish lyricist.

As for 'ma yofis,' that can be looked up in Henry
Sapoznik's book among other places. It refers to the historical phenomenon of
Klezmorim giving their goyish audiences caricatures of Jewishness at the
expense of their own dignity. (I know the lyrics Dick mentioned, they're funny,
but irrelevant here.)

Lee

---------- Lori Cahan-Simon <l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org> writes:

Look, here's the issue as I see it.  If you are angered by something,
step back and compose an answer that will be less likely to hurt
someone.  Discuss the individual points of contention rationally.  If
you can't do that, either send privately or don't send it at all.

Let us keep in mind the common goal of tikkun olam.

mit frayndshaft,
Lorele

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.