Re: breaking the string of pearls without knowing the culture

   Chaverim:
  Enough already please.....
>From what I understand, and this comes from one of the "horse's" mouths Mr.
Aaron Lansky, at the Yiddish Book Center....there are approximately 6 main
dialects of Yiddish and 12 subdialects. Since some of us are not "native"
Yiddish speakers, but may know parts or bits of Yiddish...can this not
become a "pissing" contest about whose the best Yeshiva Bocher?  Many of the
people on this list are in the process of learning Yiddish...myself
included, since my Yiddish is more Deitmarish than anything else.
Generousity should always be the first gift of the more knowledgeable. If
there is a "correction" needed, please let's try and offer it with heymish
behavior and not "I know better than you do" hochtisher(now there's a
Deitmarish word for ya!) ...high and mighty... behavior. Not all of us had
the luck and the priviledge of a good Hebrew or Yiddish education.
      Love and Knishes,
      Trudi the G