Re: breaking the string of pearls without knowing the culture

Lee,

Any argument that any Yiddishist has made here that presenting sloppy
Yiddish texts/lyrics shows disrespect for the language and culture has
usually fallen on deaf ears, even though Yiddish language and culture serve
as the underlying basis for this mailing list.  Furthermore, when a native
speaker or language instructor offers a correction, there will always be a
totally ignorant non-Yiddish speaker who will claim that the error is not
incorrect, but merely 'daytshmerish', when this person doesn't have a clue
as to which words are or aren't 'daytshmerish'.  Even if the proper
correction by experts has already been offered, there will be someone else
trying to poll subscribers on usage, as if proper usage could be determined
by committee, -- a committee of non-Yiddish speakers no less.  This kind of
gratuitous commentary by people who may have warm sentiments for the
language, but can not speak it, only serve to vitiate whatever helpful
pointers are made here and only confuse the other non-Yiddish speakers as
to what is or isn't correct.  (I am sure those comments are yet to come.)
 The whole exchange becomes not only unproductive, but destructive to
anyone interested in learning Yiddish, because they think that chaos is
normal for any discussion of Yiddish grammar.  They can not tell where
fierce argumentative style of someone who likes to shoot from the hip ends
and where linguistic knowledge begins.  That is why the few university
Yiddish instructors or fully fluent native Yiddish speakers on this list
don't bother to make corrections requiring more than 3 lines, if they
bother at all.

Lee, I thoroughly understand your frustration when you see so many errors
in a publicly performed text.  However, since you are one of the fully
fluent native Yiddish speakers here and you did bother to write so much to
make your point to Michel, I think you should offer to correct the new
line.  Not doing so, does indeed belabor the point.  I know very well that
you are politically against the line and you don't want to make it easy for
him, but I think a correction should be offered.  Otherwise, you can not
complain the next time he or someone else makes a mistake.  Since living in
peace with Palestinians is the idea of the changed line, it really does not
go against the song's concept of the Messiah bringing Jews to live happily
again in Palestine.  As long as no on, thank God, is offering unpragmatic
ideas, such as splitting Jerusalem with people who don't like to share
anything with us 'infidels', we can easily say that the spirit of the
changed line fits the traditional song very well.  I know the fear you have
for the pro-Palestinian anti-Israel posturing that so many leftist Jews
espouse, but this really isn't the case here.  Changing the last line is
perfectly appropriate and within the folk tradition.  The only problem is
that it has several errors.  Since many klezmer don't bother to learn
Yiddish lyrics correctly, all we can do is hope that they will take
intensive Yiddish language courses and not depend on Jewish-music
subscribers to do little corrections.

So Michel, if you are changing the text to a Yiddish song, please add
Yiddish lines, not German or Swiss German lines.  Using a good dictionary
is a must if you are to change Yiddish lyrics.  Do learn the universal
rules of Yiddish transliteration.  They are rather simple and readily
available on the web, e.g., http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/roman.htm
ftp://ftp.mendele.trincoll.edu/pub/mendele/files/vol04/vol04.170
The problem with the Yiddish Transliteration Guide, however, is that it
presumes that you not only already speak Yiddish, but that you already know
Yiddish spelling [really easy to learn.]  There is a direct correlation
between Yiddish characters and the representative Roman characters, and
dialectal pronunciations do not factor in.  Knowing that Yiddish is
Germanic language doesn't mean that you can insert a German or Swiss German
word into a song, e.g., 'sholen', whatever that word is.  The dictionary
would have told you that the word is 'sholem'. You can study how lyrics are
constructed and spelled in one of the Mlotek books (always correct) or even
from the Zemerl web site, which has a few errors.  And finally, find a
native Yiddish speaker - not a German speaker - with whom you can check
song texts and your pronunciation.  It is not happenstance that non-native
singers, who have always taken great care to pronounce Yiddish meticulously
well and mind the text as written, are considered the most successful
Yiddish/klezmer performers today.  Although not everyone can speak Yiddish
well, there are always a fair number of people in every audience, who can
discern and appreciate correct Yiddish enunciation and vocalization.  Also,
the more correct you sing, the more comprehensible you are and the greater
chance you will have of reaching the hearts of your audience.

So finally,

>"... weln di yidn in erets >                     isroel mit ir'n >
                    palestinenishen brider
>kol sof >                     in sholen lebn"

If we take the line as you wrote it, this should be:

.... Vet er kumen tsu geyn,
veln di yidn in erets y>                     isroel,
mit zeyere >                     palestiner brider [kuzinen] sof kol sof >
                    in sholem aynshteyn"

The phrase meaning 'finally' is 'sof kol sof', not 'kol sof'.  'Kol sof'
means something completely different Hebrew and nothing in Yiddish.

'Brider' should really be replaced with 'kuzinen', which is historically
accurate and the way Jews usually refer to Arabs.

'Lebn' doesn't rhyme with "kumen tsu geyn", so why not leave the rhyming
'aynshteyn' which means to settle, to stay.

The last line has to obviously be sung fast so that all the extra words get
squeezed in.  To be able to make such a long line with so many different
grammatical parts understandable, you have to know Yiddish intonation and
rhythm patterns or else no one will understand you.  (Many German singers
have this exact problem.)  If you don't have someone to teach you Yiddish
rhythm & intonation patterns, then I suggest that you make the line much
shorter.

I hope this helps this time, but remember few of us have time to do this
kind of correcting on a mailing list.  There are only about 4-5 active
subscribers on this list who can make these corrections with confidence and
only two ever bother to comment on errors.  Some people keep on expecting
us to do it every time they have a problem - unfair at every level.  I hope
you understand Lee's being frustrated with people who insert German words
into a Yiddish song and think that it will all come out fine in the wash.
 Maybe in 200 years from now, it will go, but Yiddish is still a live
language and we native speakers do mind it.  Not all Yiddish speakers will
bother to tell you this - they will just discount you in their minds, but I
will.  No English or German speaker would accept such level of incorrect
usage in his/her native tongue and they surely will discount such singers
as not serious or not "professional" performers.  If you are going to
perform a song publicly, then not checking for correctness is just
inexcusable.  It is also unprofessional.

For those who are interested in playing klezmer instrumentals or
non-Yiddish music, this post is probably a total bore and they can't figure
out what the fuss is about.  Sorry guys, this is post was not for you.

As for the spirit of your new line, Michel, all I can say is omeyn v'omeyn.

Reyzl