RE: breaking the string of pearls without knowing the culture

Hadass,

I don't have time for this, but I will try to respond to this as quickly as
I can.  Sorry that I don't have time for subtlety.

Where do you get this idea of the "flexibility of Yiddish"?  You should
excuse my bluntness, but this hogwash.  Hebraists and Germans put out a
rumor that Yiddish has no grammar, just as American whites loved to say
that Black English has no grammar.  Both ideas have been long disproved,
yet you are still mimicking their archaic notions.

Do you speak Yiddish Haddass?   Did you ever formally study Yiddish grammar
that you allow yourself to make such broad linguistic statements?  Or is
Rosten your source for making these simplistic linguistic observations
about the language?  The general books about Yiddish are fun and
interesting, but since their goal is to teach you a few juicy phrases
rather than the language, they allow themselves such loose statements.  No
one who has spoken Yiddish exclusively on a daily basis would make the
statements you made.  (Answering in English or Hebrew to a Yiddish-speaking
mother doesn't count.)

Every language has various levels of formality.   Most Jews spoke Yiddish
in the kitchen with their parents, but that doesn't mean that Yiddish
didn't have formal, or literary, or scholarly, or religious, or mercantile
linguistic traditions and forms.  You are obviously not familiar with them.
 I can assure you that all these forms still have their currency and they
are all continue to evolve.  Living in Brooklyn, I remain both a witness
and a participant.

>even at the times Yiddish was a spoken language (more than now) among
European Jews, >there was a difference between the German/Austrian and East
European Yiddish.
>And then as the Jews imigrated to the States, they adopted American words.

Nothing in the above observations has an iota to do with Michel's new line,
any error in it, or with any of Lee's comments.  First, Michel is not a
native speaker of Western Yiddish, so your observation that there are
differences between German/Austrian vs. East European Yiddish has no
connection to: Michel, the song, his new line, or Hasidic songs about
moshiakh.  Second, as Michel has told us before, he does not even speak
Yiddish.  Third, Jews were conscious of the foreigness of words they took
in from English or German.  Yinglish words, were inserted for humorous
effects, just as Polish, Ukrainian, Rumanian words were.  Insertion of
German words in Yiddish songs had two functions - either to give speech
instant "high culture" or to satirize the people who inserted German words
to give their speech "high culture" in order to sound cosmopolitan and
non-provincial.  Shnirele perele is an inspirational Hasidic song by and
for internal, inwardly-focused Jewish social and political functions and
Hasidim would not have inserted foreign words in such songs.  Any one who
sings about going to settle in Israel would not be interested in appearing
as a high cultured, worldly German or European.  It was/is a song by and
for people, who are antagonistic to that very trend.  I strongly doubt that
Michel's intention here was humor.  And what is 'sholon' anyway?

>The beauty of it is its flexibility - it is like an open minded
language, based on feelings, emotions and social connection.

I don't know where you get this except in general comments of books about
Yiddish expressions, written for a popular audience who don't and won't
speak the language.  They just want nice comfy generalities.  I have lots
of such books and articles.  Yes, Jews were highly cosmopolitan and often
moved from place to place. Therefore, they had to be open to many cultures
and languages.  Just because Jews picked many words from their various
travels and settlements, doesn't mean that Yiddish doesn't have strict
rules about its grammar, syntax, and usage.  The implications you are
making is that anything goes, and that is simply not true.  Secondly, you
can not make such an oversimplified, general statement about the language
and then try to force it on this particular song or Michel's new sentence.
 If you would be familiar with this song genre, you wouldn't have written
what you wrote.  Again, one finds foreign words in satiric Hasidic songs.
 This is not a satiric song and nothing you wrote above applies to the old
text or to the spirit of Michel's revisions of the last line.

>And anyway Yiddisch is originally written in Hebrew letters, so any
>transliteration is not always exact (take the word "Yiddish" itself.

Sorry to have to put it so bluntly, but this statement is both false and
incorrect.  You may know the 'alep hbet' as the Hebrew alphabet, however,
since 17 other Jewish languages have used, it is technically the Jewish
alphabet.  This alphabet is not limited to Hebrew, which was the Jewish
vernacular for only about 400 years before the 20th century.   You may see
people never schooled in Yiddish try to write Yiddish transliteration every
which way, but people who do have a complete Yiddish education do know the
rules and standards.  Please don't make statement about a language based on
your convenient ignorance.  There is no excuse for that.

You may be surprised to know that Yiddish Orthography was standardized in
1939 and German in 1938 - just a year earlier.  They used to say the same
thing about German orthography as you just wrote about Yiddish.  However,
because the overwhelming majority of German speakers lived in one
territory, government, educational institutions and press could be
coordinated to disseminate the new standard.  (We won't deal with the issue
of West and East Germany, because German language planning still applied in
both parts and in Austria.) Because of the War, the whole dissemination
process for standard Yiddish orthography and lexicon was interrupted and
severely hampered after 1939.  After the War, issues around severe
dislocation, murder of almost all the children, search for a safe homeland,
building a new country, focus on learning Hebrew in a new Jewish state, and
post-War trauma took precedence over all other issues.  Second, Yiddish
speakers, who always lived under multiple national flags, became even more
diffused on the wide world map, i.e., in at least 20 different countries.
 There was no single national, governmental authority or educational system
to continue a uniform, standardized educational system established in
Eastern Europe between the Wars.  All the countries could pick up and
continue with their various language planning programs, except Yiddish
speakers outside of America, but America was dealing with Jews fiercely
striving for assimilation after the war in the hope that it would prevent
another Holocaust.  Several political organizations created their Yiddish
school systems around the world before the War, but those political
organizations went through severe changes after the War.  Orthodox,
Hasidic, and Zionist Yiddish-speaking communities set up their own Yiddish
schools and curriculums - again a strike against uniformity and
cohesiveness.  There were no means or forces to disseminate the new
orthographic standards, no less the new transliteration standard.  Unlike
other nations, Jews now had to focus on learning the new co-territorial
language of the new countries in which they found themselves in order to
make a living.  This took precedence over everything else.  Except for
Eastern Europeans who had to learn Russian (I don't remember when Russian
spelling and/or lexicon was standardized), Western Germans, Dutch,
Scandanavians, etc. didn't have to learn a new language.  The horrific
struggle between the Hebraists and the Yiddishists to give Yiddish an equal
footing in the new Israel not only exhausted Yiddishists, but the language
suffered severe suppression and abuse from a large portion of its own
speakers who were now dedicated to Hebrew as the new Jewish vernacular.
 The dissemination of Yiddish orthography and the standard language that
was supposed to happen in Israel, could not happen very well.  Thus,
Yiddish standardization never got to the level that other European
languages achieved, even though they started at the same time.  That means
that the Yiddish Forverts still maintained its own standard, the writers
and the poets had another standard, the Hungarian Jews a third standard,
the Lubavicher another standard, and the Polish Hasidim yet another
standard, etc.  Slowly, more and more people have taken on YIVO's standard,
including the Forverts and the Israeli and American Yiddish press, while
Polish and Hungarian Hasidim still keep their own.  But your claim that
there is no standard is only an uninformed opinion about the language and
it's speech communities.  As someone who first learned to read and write
Yiddish in a Hasidic elementary school and who became familiar with
Standard Yiddish only after college, my knowledge of what I wrote above is
not something I only learned in graduate school.

>In German it is "Jiddisch" - so what is correct?)

Each language developed its tradition of Yiddish transliteration.  German,
English, and Spanish seem to have its own transliteration traditions.  YIVO
standards are for all Roman-character languages, but enforcing it around
the world is a whole other matter.  We Yiddishists hope that we will gain
greater uniformity, but observing these variations does not justify the
claim that there are no rules of Yiddish transliteration or that Yiddish
has no standard.  Observing that some English speakers write 'theater'
while others write 'theatre' doesn't mean that English speakers have no
spelling system.

Let me recommend to you YIVO's guide for English transliteration (sorry I
don't have time to find the exact title for you.  You can also see the
citation I wrote for an online transliteration guide to Lee and Michel.  I
also recommend that you get YIVO's "Guide To The Standarized Yiddish
Orthography", New York 1961 as well as read anything by Max Weinreich on
the Yiddish language.

This was a fast response.  I hope it is clear and plain to understand.

God, I really don't have time to write such long responses, but I hope that
people understand the issue Lee was trying to raise and that I hope I have
clarified a bit more.

Reyzl