  From: Dick Rosenberg
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 3:11 PM
  Subject: Re: breaking the string of pearls without knowing the culture

  I'm somewhat at a loss to understand exactly what it is that you're offended
about.

  Are you offended that Michel didn't express his sentiments in gramatically
correct Yiddish? Then suggest a better phrasing.

  Are you offended that he changed the message of the words from what one hopes
will be when the Moshiakh comes to his hopes that Israelis and Palestinians
will one day live in peace? Isn't that part of the folk process? I haven't seen
anybody getting offended about what the Klezmatics added to ale brider
expressing their sentiments. I believe here in America we call that respect and
understanding for those who have a different opinion or outlook than us.

  And finally, I don't understand the "ma yofis" comment at all. The way I
understand the song it means "You think you're such a hotshot. Your (father,
cousin, I forget what) greases wheels. Your sister goes with sailors..." What
does this have to do with Michel's wish for peace in Israel?

  Dick Rosenberg