Re: new jewish music

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:29:35 -0400, you wrote:

>I think the band would take that as a compliment, and I think that's a
>wonderful expression of how well they have done their work. But I'd claim that
>the bulgarian village women stuff, the songs sung in english, the song
>memorializing a miscarriage. By me, there is more happening than "straight-up
>traditional Yiddish music" (and that's even before we ask whether we're
>referring to  "straight up" traditional Yiddish folk melodies, "traditional"
>2nd Ave. Yiddish theatre music,....)

Well, the playing style doesn't sound all that different to me than anything
else I've heard in the klez realm. I dunno, maybe I just haven't heard enough
of the old stuff to understand what the difference is here.

-yakov (who picked up, at random, a CD called "balkan tribe" today at the used
cd store and hasn't listened to it yet)