Re: new jewish music

I think of New Jewish Music (a term that was perhaps coined by Alan Bern?) as
music that uses a "Jewish" cultural or musical base as a point of departure.
This sort of thing has really been going on for a long time - the American
incarnation goes at least as far back as the 1920s with "Lena From
Palesteena" as far as I'm concerned.  As a teacher of Multicultural Music and
Contemporary Improvisation since 1978, it was always the mainstay of my
ensembles and classes at New England Conservatory, where a fair number of the
current movers and shakers got their start (but was never the purpose of the
KCB, which has always been a klezmer and Yiddish repertory ensemble).  Frank
London writes eloquently on this point in Judaism185/vol 47/#1).  The pretext
for everything in our "Third Stream" (now "Contemporary Improvisation")
classes and ensembles was that music was music and any culture can be a point
of departure, whatever your level of immersion in it.
Approval or rejection is, as always, at the discretion of the audience.
-Hankus