Re: Cheap way to record?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yakov (Koby)" <kchodosh (at) suffolk(dot)lib(dot)ny(dot)us>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: Cheap way to record?

On Sat, 12 May 2001 10:09:58 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm a big fan of direct to two track (stereo) recording. All you need is a
>DAT recorder, and a really good mic preamp and a pair of mics. The downside
>is that you can't change the balance of anything later, if you want more or
>less of an instrument, you have to have worked it all out in both the
set-up
>of the mics, band, and the arrangements. This method works OK for me, I'm
in
>a duo, occasionally a trio. It'll work for a band, but it takes more time
>set up.
>
>How many people in the band? What is the instrumentation?

>Trombone [me], clarinet [Mike Winograd], classical guitar is the trio,
>hopefully plus drums [Aaron Paige -- amazing] and violin (who plays too
>soft). Balance problems are built in with a group like that!
<snip>

Balance problems can be solved.  Think of P.D.Q. Bach's Sinfonia Concertante
(S. 98.6), for such diverse instruments as Lute, Balalaika, Ocarina, and
Bagpipes; OK, the balance problem wasn't really solved - the bagpipes tend
to dominate.  But there are ways.  According to the recent PBS series, Jazz,
in Louis Armstrong's early recordings he was placed way in the back of the
recording studio, while the rest of the instruments clustered around the
horn that collected the sound.  You can do it, Yakov!