Re: Cheap way to record?

on 5/12/01 10:04 PM, Yakov (Koby) at kchodosh (at)
suffolk(dot)lib(dot)ny(dot)us wrote:

> Hey folks...
> My klezmer band wants to make a recording without going bankrupt. What kind of
> equipment would be needed to make a home-brewed CD with reasonably good sound?
> Where could we find (rent) this stuff? (We live on Long Island)

I'm a big fan of direct to two track (stereo) recording. All you need is a
DAT recorder, and a really good mic preamp and a pair of mics. The downside
is that you can't change the balance of anything later, if you want more or
less of an instrument, you have to have worked it all out in both the set-up
of the mics, band, and the arrangements. This method works OK for me, I'm in
a duo, occasionally a trio. It'll work for a band, but it takes more time to
set up.

How many people in the band? What is the instrumentation?

If you want to be able to mix later, these days there is a proliferation of
digital workstations, all in one unit like the Roland VS880, etc. It'll
record 8 or 16 tracks, depending on the model, and has the mixer built in.
Depending on what you have for a computer, there's always software and a
good soundcard. There's also a lot of good inexpensive studios around, a lot
of people are trying to pay for all that gear they bought on their credit
cards :-)

I have a nice direct to two track studio, if you feel like bringing the band
to New Hampshire.

Seth

--
Seth Austen