Re: Cheap way to record?

In a message dated 5/11/2001 9:00:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
kchodosh (at) suffolk(dot)lib(dot)ny(dot)us writes:

  > My klezmer band wants to make a recording without going bankrupt. What
> kind
> of equipment would be needed to make a home-brewed CD with reasonably good
> sound? Where could we find (rent) this stuff? (We live on Long Island)

About 2 and half years ago my band went through something very similar.
People kept asking for demo tapes for gig requests and after concerts,  folks
would ask us if we have a tape or a CD to buy.

MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com ( one of my favorite bands ) recommended a four
track.
There a lot of very nice cassette based 4 track machines from Fostec, Tascam
and Yamaha that you can pick up used very reasonably.

We bought a used Tascam 488MKII on ebay and used our concert microphones.
What's neat about the 488 is that it is an 8 track.  You can record 4 tracks
live at and use the other 4 to add tracks later.  For instance we would
record Clarinet, Accordion, Drum, Piano then we would record the Bass, extra
percussion etc..on the other 4 tracks.

Best Regards and Have Fun,

Alex
Alex Greenberg
Clarinetist with Nefesh

PS: I'm selling the Tascam if anyone is interested..

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->