Re: Rakija i Klezperanto

If only to bring the thread back to Jewish music:

I recall a Ladino song "La vida do por el raki" [I give my life for raki].
It appears in Alhambra's CD "The Joys of Judeo Spanish Song"
(graciously offered to our Sound Archive by list member Isabelle
Ganz), as coming from Istanbul -- a tainted Sefardi drinking song...

Francesco

>--On Tuesday, January 16, 2001 3:15 PM -0500 Ari Davidow
><ari (at) ivritype(dot)com> wrote:
>
>>>Arak is the spirit produced in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Goa
>>>mainly from the rice.
>>
>>I've no clue as to what is produced in Indonesia, but I can assure you,
>>Jerzy, that I have drunk much good Arak in Israel, which is, as
>>described, an anise-flavored brandy (well, anise-flavored paint thinnner,
>>at least), the same drink which is known in Greece as Ouzo.
>
>And known as Raki in Turkey.
>
>Penny

YUVAL  ITALIA     Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval