Re: Rakija i Klezperanto

At 08:47 PM 1/16/01 +0100, you wrote:

>I've just few days ago purchased CD Klezperanto /Naxos World/.
>In the liner note to the tune "Acaj Pene Rakije" you can find that:
>"Rakije, also known as Arak, is an anise flavored brandy very popular in
>that part of the world"
>What a mistake !!!
>Rakija in Balkan means every kind of strong vodka made mainly from plums
>/slivovica/, grapes /loza/ or herbs /travarica/.

>Arak is the spirit produced in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Goa mainly
>from the rice.

I've no clue as to what is produced in Indonesia, but I can assure you, Jerzy,
that I have drunk much good Arak in Israel, which is, as described, an
anise-flavored brandy (well, anise-flavored paint thinnner, at least), the same
drink which is known in Greece as Ouzo. I have only a dim memory of Rakija,
which I remember as a fruit brandy, but don't recall being anise-flavored. At
the same time, I have always assumed vodkas to be from potatoes, and neither
Rakija nor Arak rely on the potato, to the best of my limited knowledge. Maybe
we need an exchange with jewish-drinks to clarify the matter ;-).

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/