Re: Rakija i Klezperanto

Hi, Owen,

funny you should mention "extra" ingredients. I've had homemade ouzo
from a WW II resistance fighter (back around 1968), and it had some
herbal or other (bark? root?) ingredient which was brilliant and mildly
psychedelic. he wouldn't tell me what ingredient it was, but he had
brewed it from his family recipe, so i assume it was at least a regional
or local variant. Being very familiar with opium eaten and in food, it
was NOT that...

BTW, is this the same song that slim gaillard sings??

take care,

citizen kafka

------------------------

Owen Davidson wrote:

> A friend who was stationed in Turkey with the Air Force told me he thought the
> Turkish raki contained opium: it wasn't just booze.  (Tincture of opium in
> alcohol is known to medicine by the Greek name "Paregoric:" "comforting.").
> Raki is not identical to ouzo, as the old rembetic song makes clear (and it
> remains clear if there is no water in the glass):
>
> "Ti manna sou, ti magissa,
etc...

Listen ANY TIME at:
 http://www.citizenkafka.com/sma/sound/soundmain.html
Citizen Kafka, Producer, "The Secret Museum of the Air"
every Tuesday 6 to 7 PM EST WFMU 91.1 FM
http://wfmu.org/ then go to 'listen to wfmu'