Re: Rakija i Klezperanto

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ari Davidow" <ari (at) ivritype(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: Rakija i Klezperanto

<snip>
> I've no clue as to what is produced in Indonesia, but I can assure you,
Jerzy, that I have drunk much good Arak in Israel, which is, as described,
an anise-flavored brandy (well, anise-flavored paint thinnner, at least),
the same drink which is known in Greece as Ouzo. I have only a dim memory of
Rakija, which I remember as a fruit brandy, but don't recall being
anise-flavored. At the same time, I have always assumed vodkas to be from
potatoes, and neither Rakija nor Arak rely on the potato, to the best of my
limited knowledge. Maybe we need an exchange with jewish-drinks to clarify
the matter ;-).

> ari

Vodka was traditionally made from potatoes, but it can be made from grain
alcohol as well.  Since vodka isn't supposed to have a flavor (except the
flavored vodkas, of course), the source of the alcohol doesn't matter -
except during pesach.