Re: Rakija i Klezperanto

A friend who was stationed in Turkey with the Air Force told me he thought the
Turkish raki contained opium: it wasn't just booze.  (Tincture of opium in
alcohol is known to medicine by the Greek name "Paregoric:" "comforting.").
Raki is not identical to ouzo, as the old rembetic song makes clear (and it
remains clear if there is no water in the glass):

"Ti manna sou, ti magissa,
Raki tha tin potizo
Na thesi n'apokimithi,
Na'rtho na sou milizo."

(Your mother, that witch!
I'll give her raki to drink
So she'll want to go to sleep,
So I can come talk to you.)

- Markos Vamvakaris "San then me theli i manna sou"  (I think your mom don't
like me hangin' around, ('cause she sent the neighbor boys out to get me
killed)).

Owen

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided oer my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy & Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake