Re: 78rpms to CD - Reality.

on 9/8/2000 2:19 AM, Farfl's House at farfl (at) idirect(dot)ca wrote:

> After you've recorded your files to your hard drive, and trimmed them and
> treated them, you can burn them to a CD-R using an easy program like "Adaptec
> CD Creator Deluxe".  Oh, by the way.......you'll need a CD Burner!! I suggest
> a Ricoh.....get one with 4x or 8x recording capabilities!
> Don't bother with MP3s for now, as you want to be able to play your CDs in any
> player, correct?

You might also consider using some professional software to edit the files
and to clean up the recordings. There are several options available but one
that comes to mind is Peak. With this software you can optimize the digital
information and pull out some of the noise.

Of course, since the files are digital, you can save multiple versions and
test the results until you get what you want. Blank CD-Rs are very
inexpensive now; I usually pay no more than a dollar each but you can get
them for even less if you buy a spool. In my job as a Mac Systems
Administrator/Digital Archivist, I have used a variety of cd-burners and
duplicators: my advice is to get a Plextor--
http://www.plextor.com/english/index.html They manufacture burners at
different speeds including 8x and 12x. You can definitely get an 8x for a
reasonable amount and I think they have models that support usb and
firewire, if you have a newer Mac besides scsi. Plextor is probably the most
highly-regarded cd-burner manufacturer for professionals. I can't stress it
enough--if you want quality, get a Plex. 8)

MP3s are NOT cd-quality...yeah, they're supposed to be but anyone who
listens can tell the difference. It's a convenient way to compress the
rather large sound files but something always seems to be missing from these
compressed versions.

Oh, there are also a variety of shareware applications that you can use to
"record" the sound to your drive (and make sure you have enough drive
space!)--one that comes to mind is "ultra-recorder" but you can check
http://www.versiontracker.com/ or http://www.macaddict.com/ or other
shareware sites.

As far as burning the CD-Rs, I recommend using Adaptec Toast (Deluxe) or
Jam.

I'm actually pulling together a lot of resources for this same
project...when I get it all together I'll send you a follow-up list of
resources. 8)

have fun,
brian