78rpms to CD - Reality.

Hi, Wolf!
The most important thing about transferring 78rpm recordings is to make sure
you have the proper size stylus for the job. Stanton makes a variety of stylus
widths for their 500 model cartridge. You don't want the improper width of
stylus on a recording, or else you'll wallow in "sonic shmootz" (Henry's great
phrase). Different eras of 78s require different widths to make sure you'll
avoid where the groove has already been worn.
Once you've determined the proper stylus to use, you have to make sure you have
a good sound card. "Soundblaster 32" and the like don't cut it.  I have a
wonderful Turtle Beach Fiji soundcard.  You'll need the cables everyone else
was talking about, from your amp to your computer, and you'll need a software
that records the files (.WAV) and hopefully cleans them up. DCART is a great
one for the price.
After you've recorded your files to your hard drive, and trimmed them and
treated them, you can burn them to a CD-R using an easy program like "Adaptec
CD Creator Deluxe".  Oh, by the way.......you'll need a CD Burner!! I suggest a
Ricoh.....get one with 4x or 8x recording capabilities!
Don't bother with MP3s for now, as you want to be able to play your CDs in any
player, correct?
If you don't want all of the above hassle, I can transfer the records for you.
You'll have to pay shipping both ways. Maybe you can trade something for me
doing it? Some blank CD-R media, or something?  ;)
And if you want to donate the records themselves...well......!!
Best Regards & Good Luck!
Steven Lederman (Farfl's House)