Re: 78rpms to CD - Reality.

If you are working on a Mac, you don't need to go to WAV. There are some
excellent Mac-only, or Mac-specific sound cards. Usually they come bundled with
sound capture/editing software. I use some software from DigiDesign and an old
Audio II sound card, but am not sure what is the reasonable sound card/software
combo for current machines and MacOSs. The important issue here, as others have
noted, is that the built-in sound tools are inadequate.

The generic process, assuming that you have followed <farfl>'s directions and
gotten appropriate stylus or stylii (do you also need to be able to adjust
turntable speed? Henry? Where are you when we need you?), is to connect your
stereo out to the sound card stereo in. You then use the sound capture/editing
software that came with the card to capture that signal and save it onto your
hard disk (I think the rule of thumb used to be 10MB/minute for high quality,
but if you have a recent Mac you have gigabytes of hard disk space).

Once you have the file saved, the software that comes with any CD-R (recordable
CD) will help you drag and drop your sound files onto a recordable CD.
Conventionally, you would probably save a CD's worth of original takes on one
CD, and then do your cleanup and save the resultant files (assuming you had
time and patience to do so) elsewhere--most important is to save those original
files, without modification, as a reference.

And that's it.

Hope this helps.
ari