Re: Cataloguing: Transliterating Hebrew: Bentsiyon?

At 12:31 AM 6/1/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Thank you, Ken, Feige and Marvin for responding. Maybe my question sounded
>silly, but I was genuinly wondering why the Hebrew Shalom should be combined
>with a clearly Yiddish al-EI-chem (or al-EY-chem), whereas the Hebrew is, as
>far as my limited knowlegde goes, aleCHEM, without the -ey-sound.  Being a
>language freak I wonder about such minute things.

I can't speak to the Yiddish, but the Hebrew vowel would be the same as the
Yiddish in this case, a long "a" sound, although some people shorten that to
the "eh" that you hear in your head. But otherwise, I do believe that both
words come out with an accent on the same syllable and vowels pronounced the
same. why some shared vocabulary work the same, and some don't, someone who
knows far more than me will have to address.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/