Re: Cataloguing: Transliterating Hebrew: Bentsiyon?

Thank you, Ken, Feige and Marvin for responding. Maybe my question sounded
silly, but I was genuinly wondering why the Hebrew Shalom should be combined
with a clearly Yiddish al-EI-chem (or al-EY-chem), whereas the Hebrew is, as
far as my limited knowlegde goes, aleCHEM, without the -ey-sound.  Being a
language freak I wonder about such minute things.
Yes Ken, we have the same version in mind. I'm not so crazy about the
composition though, in spite of what Fay says about Mr. Aldemá. I think the
first voice is beautiful, but the other two simply have too many notes and
their melodies disturb the first voice rather than enhance it. I also feel
that the 2nd and 3rd voice don't stick to the Misheberach mode, and thus the
composition sounds rather classical because of the harmonies used. Please
correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a bit of a newcomer in musical theory. I always
feel it's a shame when oriental melodies are adapted to the western ear,
which I feel is the case in this case. I conduct the piece because I have
to, for some conductingexam I'm taking.
Az ikh bin nit fun Amsterdam, fun wanen bin ikh? Fun a shtetle in
Tsofn-Holland.
At Klezkamp and KlezKanada people always asked me if I was from Amsterdam,
and I invariably felt I was disappointing them by having to say no, I'm from
Groningen (Khroningen). Who knows Groningen? Only the members of
Klezmerbands, because most of them performed here. Then, to make things up,
I told people I am originally from the Hague, which most people do seem to
know.
Groningen, though small, has a Yiddishe leyenerskraiz, a klezmerband, some
performing Yiddish singers and plenty of opportunity to learn Yiddish
singing and plenty of klezmermanics. It's a good place to live.