Re: Germans and Klezmer

Steven,
You are entitled to your opinion,
but I think that it is too easy for those a bit
removed from the pain to absolve those
who inflicted it and say "get over it"
to those of us a bit closer to it.

I find your responses to those of us who can't
tolerate Germans appropriating Jewish music,
which I, too, see as a prime example of the world's
"necrophilia" for the Jews after the Holocaust,
as insensitive/offensive as I find the crosses at
Auschwitz, the misuses of the term "Holocaust,"
the posthumous psychological analysis of Anne
Frank based only on her diary, or the opera based
on the murder of Klinghoffer that doesn't fail
to remind us about Palestinian aspirations.

You show concern for the sensitivities of the
German Klezmer performers. I, too, must
acknowledge that some of them are fine
human beings and excellent musicians,
but why do they have a right to be heard
when they attempt to play Jewish music?

Concern doesn't seem to extend to those
of us whose time on German soil was not
spent under such benign conditions as theirs.
(Mine was as a child in DP camps).

You say things (to us) such as "I think you
need to re-evaluate your position" and "Shoah
notwithstanding." (Was there any thought given
to those words?)

There is no such thing as "Shoah notwithstanding"!!!!
If the sins of the German sadist murderers are visited on
the next one or two generations of their (innocent) descendants
to the extent of hindering them from insinuating themselves in
Jewish culture where they do not belong, that is a very small price
to ask them to pay. While there are survivors and their children
still alive who can bear personal witness to the atrocities of
the Holocaust,  where is the corresponding concern for Jewish
sensitivities in the invasion of Jewish culture?

What do you think is so fascinating to Germans a generation or so
removed from the Holocaust about the music of those they used to
call, disdainfully, "Ostjuden"?

I am aware of the resurrection by some of pre-war German
Jewish music, deemed "degenerate" by the Nazis. I applaud
these efforts. There were other German Jewish talents between
Kurt Weill and Felix Mendelssohn. The long musical history of the
German Jews has material worth researching. Germans performing
German-Jewish music could be a much better "revival" without the use
of their misappropriated Yiddish. And don't Germans have their own music?

Why don't the Germans perform the music of the long-resident,
but non-citizen Turkish "guest workers" in their midst?
It might produce some empathy where it could now be useful.

Leopold Friedman

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->